December 31, 2006

My Five Facts

Waldo Jaquith is one of our top bloggers in the state, so since he posted the "Five Facts You May Not Know," I guess I better do it too.

1-I still can't decide on what I want to do with my life. I really want to go into politics, but, in the meantime, I have several choices that I can't seem to choose between. I would like to be a high school government teacher. My Political Science professor at college said I would make a good professor. I had someone recently tell me I should go to one of the tryouts for a Major Leage Baseball team (I'd need to shed a few pounds before that). I also love the idea of pursuing a career in psychology or social work. I'm taking classes this first year of college that are broad enough that I could use them for several different degrees. I'll probably make the decision about 15 minutes before I absolutely have to.
2-I've had Type I Diabetes since 1996, when I was eight years old. I'm very interested in embryonic stem cell research, because I believe it could hold the key that will unlock the cure to this disease, as well as the cures to other deadly diseases.
3-I was born in Sullivan County, Tennessee, about 300 yards from Virginia. The hospital, Bristol Memorial, sat on the state line. Since I didn't have my birth certificate, I had to go all the way to Blountville, Tennessee to get a new copy of it. Blountville has the best Burger King I've ever been to.
4-As you may know, I play the guitar. The biggest highlight of my guitar-playing experience came in 2004 when I got to have a "jam session" with bluegrass legend Jimmy Martin, only a few months before he died. He was weakened by the effects of chemotherapy (he had bladder cancer) but was still the fireball he had always been. For the record, we sang "Freeborn Man," (I actually just sang one verse, and helped on the chorus) and "I'll Fly Away."
5-When I went to Cleveland in 2004 to visit family, I went to Geauga Lake theme park in Aurora, Ohio. I rode a ferry across the lake and back, because it looked pretty fun. About half way across, I dropped my watch in the water. I was fairly upset, since I had just bought it about three weeks before ($12.95 at Wal-Mart!). As far as I know, it's still down there, keeping time for the fishes.

Until 2007.

-Neal

1 comment:

Steve Minor said...

That is a good Burger King in Blountville.